Monday, July 13, 2009

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Nothing beats good old things.

In this age of digital cameras, sandbox, picasa albums and what-have-yous, nothing beats looking at old, tattered photographs. Last Sunday, my family and I had such a great time looking at our old pictures. What prompted this? We were looking for old pictures of Ate Ana, a cousin of mine who will get married this December. Her wedding coordinator wants to prepare an AVP for her and her husband-to-be. And when we say old, the photographs were really really old.



Most of these photos were taken in my grandparents’s house in Sta, Cruz, Manila. I spent my first three years there. I grew up with Ate Ana before they migrated to California during the early 90s. In this photo, Ate Ana was about 5 or six years old and I was probably two. I know, I look like a baby boy! What the?!?!? And before I even used Cheng as my nickname, among family members, I am Chenglou.



Here’s another picture of me and Ate Ana. We seemed to have a fascination with “bed shots”. Hahahahaha Oh! I grew a bit of hair here so it made me look a bit girly. I guess. Ate Ana maintained the same apple-cut. I think I was three in this photo and Ate Ana was 7.

I know… This photo reminded me of the movie “Chicken Little”. That’s me at 3. After I managed to grow a bit of hair, my mom decided to give me a shave. I didn’t know why. Maybe I complained so much of the heat or when she put a lot of hair clips on my hair. This photo has an 8R-framed version at home. I guessed my mom had a grand time making fun of me when I was a kid – the curse of being the firstborn! But looking at this now, I am quite happy that my mom did that. Precious memories I would love to share to my kids someday. Will I shave their hair? I don’t think so. We’ll see. Hahahahahaha



And this is my favorite childhood photo of all. This is my Lolo Gemo, paternal grandfather. I was barely a year old in this photo, around 9 or 10 months. Just learning how to walk. See how happy I was when he showed me the beer bottle? Just kidding. I hate beer. I can drink just one. I just don’t like the taste and the smell and the heavy feeling it leaves me. I’d prefer margarita. As far as I can remember, I was very happy to be carried around by him. When I learned how to walk, he would always bring me to an ice cream parlor a few blocks away from their house. I always looked forward to this trip. Then when my parents decided to get the house in Binangonan, Rizal, where we currently live, my Lolo would visit us once a week and he would bring me in the backyard and taught me how to tend the plants.

He’s now very old and weak. He just stays in bed. I just miss him so much and our good times together. I hope someday we could that again.

Last Sunday, my family and I had a fun and nostalgic trip down memory lane. And I loved it.

0 comments:


Blogspot Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Hot Car Pictures. Powered by Blogger